Thursday, January 03, 2008

New Year, Old Flicks






What better way to start a new year than with some classics? It was mostly the result of Christina and I heading to Entertainmart one Sunday after church. There's little inviting about the this mega used media store... but little treasures in each aisle. After searching the used cds for some of the coolest music ever (which of course wasn't there because none of the other cool people who know of the bands had purged the great cds from their collections) we mosied over to the VHS videos. A steal of a deal at just $1.99 we went through every last aisle searching through decades of productions. And did we find some treasures?!



Over Christmas, as a family, we watched "Sneakers." Classic! In comparison, our viewing of "The Man with One Red Shoe" was loaded with archaic computer scenes/references. "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" was on tv; I don't think I'd seen it since it came out. While watching I felt my 10 year old excitement stir inside. I totally remember when they slide down the grass and it looks so fun, or when they find the oatmeal cookie in the yard and then tame the ant, and when the girl (who was so cool back in the day, which is strange because her hair is horrible and she is wearing that sad pale pink the whole movie) is dancing around with the mop.



New Year's Day was a treat, starting my year with "Karate Kid." Those kids were so stinking cool. I eagerly awaited the scenes of "wax on, wax off," the boombox on the beach and of course that last fight scenes. That was followed by "Flashdance" and now I have no doubts why I wasn't allowed to watch it when I was younger. "Greencard" was just as I remembered with the greenhouse scenes and Gerard Depardieu's accent.



I can't wait to pop in "Swiss Family Robinson," I can barely remember the tension between girl and boy and the scene where they fight the invaders. And if there's time left "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" or "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." I feel as lucky as Charlie Bucket, having discovered the golden wrapper.

3 comments:

Blythe Owen Hunt said...

I LOVE Swiss Family Robinson. You have picked some choice movies fo sho.

Les Trois Soeurs said...

Blythe, you are welcome to join for a viewing sometime!

Anonymous said...

I appreciated knowing now you understand why some movies are left for "more mature audiences." Your parentals were watching out for you and your siblings.