Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The Running Man

I've been living downtown Colorado Springs all of my independant living life. There are things you see down here that you won't see anywhere else in town. There is the Wigged-it: a woman who hangs out downtown and drinks coffee at the various outdoor patios and cafes. You can't miss her, she is always wearing a wig. Not just any wig - she sports various hued numbers, mostly blonde or strawberry blonde - all long and matted. Over the top, really. There is also the Running Man. He runs through the downtown streets with just his brightly colored shorts. He yells things out - it's hard to distinguish what he's saying, until you've been exposed to him a number of times. He yells at passing vehicles and their drivers, that they should get out of their cars, get exercise, hollering things like, "Wusses!" At times, with more colorful language. He feels strongly about it and a number of times I have seen him run across intersections blatantly defying the red hand warning him to stay on his side of the street - he pounds his chest to oncoming cars, almost daring them to proceed, as he jogs across, yelling the entire time. I usually watch him from my apartment window -it's entertaining and you can hear him coming. I was at a dinner party and heard his banter approaching - after a quick explanation we all dropped our forks and rushed to the window to watch him run by. I have been a victim in my car a couple of times, where I have been the enemy. One time my sister and I were jogging and heard him approaching us - that night I wasn't the enemy, we were, somehow, on the same side. I have always said that I should like to see him out around town somewhere, fully dressed. What does the Running Man do? Does he have a job? Does he have a family? Does he have a full wardrobe?
Yesterday I was walking downtown, waiting at a crosswalk. A man came up next to me and pointed at a car and yelled, "wiener dog!" I thought maybe he knew the driver - but no window was down and the driver kept driving. I looked over at the man and *oh my lands* it was the Running Man. He was wearing a yellow dress shirt and tie, dress pants and dress shoes. It was our turn to proceed (he waited at the red hand) and off he went. I followed him as fast as I could in my heels, but the Running Man has a bit of speed, as you can imagine. I didn't know what I was hoping to see, but I didn't want him out of my sight. Along my way I saw the Wigged-it outside, drinking coffee. The Running Man ran (chuckle) into someone he knew and they stopped and chatted. I caught up to them but didn't know how to slow down enough to hear their conversation. Was he a friend or a potential wiener dog? I passed them and their interaction and felt at sense of accomplishment. I had seen the Running Man in real clothes, in a real conversation, on a really nice day.
Last night I heard something out the window, it was a man, yelling. -J

No comments: