Friday, April 15, 2005

Big city girl trapped in a little town

Ok so in my attempt to support my roommate and to live in Alaska a little longer I agreed to move north to the tiny Alaskan town of Palmer. She wanted to buy a place and you get much more house and land for your dollar if you move to the valley.
Now here I am with no internet hookup until the 28, having to go to the local library to check my emails, blogs, websites and even to get a glimpse into the news of the world. Now, by local library I mean the smallest one story, one room book center you have ever seen. For instance their magazine section is probably 25 magazines that they don't backstock, no reviewing old articles or perusing last season's styles. Their new book section is two columns, four shelves high, containing books that I would not consider new- its like the new release wall in Blockbuster, you know those movies that have been out since before your last haircut.
Most importantly is the local aspect. The man just walking in is in his too big jeans hoping the suspenders holding them up will not slide off his shoulder to expose his "local member." The mom with her oh so too many kids is trying to keep them under control as she checks out a stack of children's books taller than her smallest. Over by the magazines is the black sheep of the local high school with her shaved head and wholly fishnets under dirty cut off jeans.
Here I sit, obviously not a local, in my black sassy heels, purple silky camisole, tight dark jeans, sticking out like a "big city girl." ~C

No comments: