Monday, April 18, 2005

Smart Moms

I was having lunch at Pikes Perk today and took the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful weather by sitting outside. There were three women sitting at the neighboring table, in the midst of some pretty interesting conversation and not bit bothered that I intruded in on their space. They must have been there a while because they weren't eating or drinking anything but just talking. I didn't get a good look at two of the ladies, I think that they were older around 45 to 50 but the loud one facing me was probably the youngest of the three. They talked about their kids, religion, doctrine, their husbands, their idea of a women's role in family, society and in marriage. I felt like they were kindred spirits + 15 years. It was so reassuring that there are mothers and wives out there that are passionate about their families and are committed to taking hard roads in order to see their family grow together. For example, the loud one was taking about the family's choice to homeschool the children until the 8th grade. She referred to some university research about about children's continually waning interest in school once they they enter kindergarden. She said that homeschooling her kids until high school has helped them keep the energy to appreciate school and that environment. Now, I am not the smartest person and the idea of homeschooling freaks me out but I respect a mother who chooses her children's happiness above the desire to get the kids out of the house into school. She admitted that they had to sacrifice financially for her to stay at home. "So they don't get soccer lessons, we play soccer outside every afternoon. So they don't get dance lessons, I dance with my daughter everyday and I handmake her all her dancing outfits."

She was a healthnut. "I told my older son to ask his future wife hard questions. Did her parents raise her on fast food and food coloring? Because those things can affect the kids. I mean, seriously, they are creating our future generation." I had to smile. Some parents find it hard to encourage their kids to ask about the girlfriend's/boyfriend's interests, jobs, faith and this woman cuts through all that and helps the son understand that his future wife will contribute half the genes of his kids, food coloring and all.

I was sad when they left.n

No comments: