Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Earth Day


What a way to spend an earth day!Last night Christina and I did "our part." We finally recycled the wine bottles from our super fab wine party months ago. We'd also collected a good stack of cardboard and some old phone books. We went to the recycling center last night - night trips to the scary parts of town are not recommended. There was some difficulty deciding if one of us should stay in the car with it running...just in case. Christina was the brave runner...literally sprinting from the jeep to the dumpsters with our trash. I would prefer not to know what little impact my recycling has, as I'm sure I would be disappointed. We picked up a few laundry baskets at the dollar store and will continue our recycling efforts. Sunday I went to the grocery store and remembered to take a couple reusable shopping bags. Everything I bought fit into my saks (I won't talk here about an article I read about paper vs plastic and how the author said it really didn't matter which, b/c changing or eliminating either would have little impact on the environment). But there is something really special about doing your part. We're going to do ours.This earth day I can be proud. As my friend Vicki said, "Now, we are not earth worshipers, just helping to care for what God created for us, it feels good." Vicki, if you were around, I'd give you a solid, green chest bump. Good work my fellow recycler.

4 comments:

Cadenabeana said...

Well done you two...well done!!!

Rally said...

I was recently at a store in Texas that charged you $0.10 for every bag you used. Now tell that isn't an incentive to bring your own reusable shopping bag. Great Job doing your part.

Anonymous said...

Whew...now, I think we are officially over our bag limit..

Cadenabeana said...

I saved $0.03 at Carrs/Safeway last night using my reusable bag!! Not enough of an incentive, personally, but I will continue because it is the right thing to do, not because they are paying me.