Friday, April 18, 2008

D*mn Shoes

I got dressed in a hurry today - stood at my closet for a bit trying to figure out what shoes to wear. Comfortable? Nah, I just got a pedicure last night. I should wear my peep toe black shoes and flash some of this toe color. I was working at my desk when the judge (robe off and in hand) comes into my office. "I have one of your cases in my courtroom. Can you come over on it?" "Sure, I'll be right over." Probation being in the court, my office being just feet from my judge's courtroom, can be really handy for time management, but impromptu revocation hearings? I ask him who it is on... he doesn't remember the name. I walk to his courtroom with just my pen in hand. Why my pen? I don't know... I didn't want to go empty handed. There he is in his orange jumpsuit - a guy who disappeared from me a while ago, despite him getting a second chance on probation that he really didn't deserve. I shoot from the hip while explaining he deserves jail. I also explain that because I don't have his file, I can't give a recommendation for specific time because I don't know his criminal history. The judge then requests that I go get the file... I unprofessionally exit the courtroom with a, "I'll be right back." I walk quickly down the busy carpeted hallway... until I hit the marble floor with my left foot, at which time my left foot slips, gives way...and I go down. All the way down... on my HANDS and KNEES! I am on all fours, with my hair in my face, for what I hope is only seconds and am afraid I squealed out some loud sound, just in case the scene had gone unnoticed. I hear an attorney bark, "you alright?" I pop up, "yep, I'm fine" and I literally gimp off, dragging my poor little left ankle down the hallway. Ironically, one of my first thoughts is that I am in prime surveillance area and fear that some security guard has noticed what just occurred and will be sure to replay the incident for himself....and all his buddies. D*mn shoes. I think I have no choice but to toss them if I ever get home safely.

4 comments:

Cadenabeana said...

Interesting dilemma with the heals...but I am more interested in the fact that you had pedicure!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Jana! Very good to get the written account of your fall. Horrible! You didn't mention the surveillance aspect! That's got to be the worst part...because you know those security guys aren't professional. Ahhh!

What did you do with your shoes?

Les Trois Soeurs said...

They are currently in my closet...don't ask me why. Some crazy morning when I'm running behind (scratch that...any morning) I will grab them b/c I can't figure out what else to throw on my feet, will forget their danger and probably find myself in the same predicament... feel no sympathy.

Anonymous said...

This entry had me laughing....what we women won't do to look great, at least during our youth.

Bet those toes were pretty, but not worth the fall!! ouch