Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Good Day for a Guinness


St. Patrick's Day is one of the best holidays of the year (falling behind all of the religious ones, of course, that celebrate Jesus). What's not to love about people pulling out their kelly green shirts and sweaters, an occasional green boa, having a green beer or a Guinness, singing Irish tunes and embracing that great Irish saint who taught Christianity by using a shamrock to represent the trinity?Last night I was invited to join Schelau and some friends at Jack Quinn's. It is where I have celebrated every St. Patrick's Day since I was 21 (except for that one year when S and I chose to celebrate in Denver because we thought the big city would bring more excitement...and it did... a crazy blizzard). I drove past Jack Quinn's and saw a line out the door. My thought: it couldn't possibly be worth it. I'll be forced to stand in line with some strangers in the freezing cold, probably have to pay a cover and then fight to order my Guinness that will be served luke warm in a plastic cup. I called it a night. My partying days are sporadic if not gone.Several years ago a line out the door would have meant it was going to totally rock on the inside...obviously because people are waiting to get in. A cover would have meant that the entertainment would be better or that only the committed would be on the other side of the door and the luke warm beer would've gone down so fast I wouldn't have noticed.

3 comments:

Cadenabeana said...

Of course it would have been worth it. It always is...even when you pull out all the stops and you still have to buy all of your own drinks because the idiot men don't realize that they should be treating you to it...it is still worth it,damn it, I tell you, IT IS STILL WORTH IT!! That is what I have to keep telling myelf so as not to be frustrated with last night's "unlucky" events.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Cadina, you are still in the bloom of youth. Your sister had a very astute analysis of the dynamics with in ~ although it wasn't busy enough to constitute plastic cups, though lukewarm beer was plentiful. It was not worth it...but my blooms have fallen. Schelau

Cadenabeana said...

Oh no, you got it wrong...we left the bar by 9:30pm!! Our blooms r in Alaska...they fall unseasonably early!