Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Tick Tock Tick Tock


I have become concerningly sappy regarding other people's children. Recently, during the western stock show rodeo, I teared up as I watched the clown beckon his son from the sidelines. He was dressed just like his strange clown dad and mirrored dad's every move. His dad put his hat on the dirt floor, so did son. Dad did a head stand, he bent all the way over trying to pick up his hat with his head (just as dad did) and the crowd cheered when he finally stood up, hat on head. I got all kinds of choked up. I think I looked over at my grandchildless dad and apologized for not gifting him with a grandson.
A friend was over with her two sons. Little Ethan hollered to his mom, "mom! do you hear that?!" "what is it son?" "mom! It's our song!" I don't even remember what top 40 hit he associated with his mother but I can tell you it was the sweetest thing I've ever seen... and got all kinds of choked up.
Earlier this week, a judge sent out an email inviting us (I made the list...yes!) to come by his chambers for some cookies, explaining his kids made cookies... again. Today he made his rounds with the last couple and explained everytime it snows, his kids greet him at the door when he comes home and beg him to help them make cookies. My heart melted.
My new co-worker next door took a phone call and I could hear him talking to his young daughter..."can you take a nap for daddy? so we can play when I get home from work? take a nap for daddy, tiny." So stinking precious!
Just today, my last appointment told me when he got home the other night, his son was decked out with a sweatband around his forehead and a crib sheet tied around his neck and that he was "Super hero Soto." Dad says to me, who is Soto? Heck if I know, but it sounds cute as can be to me!

1 comment:

Blythe Owen Hunt said...

that's beautiful! I teared up just reading your stories! :)