Monday, February 18, 2008

Bubbled

I was invited to a co-worker's house last night for a "beer and board games" party. I'm not much of a boardgamer but was excited to be invited to this elitest group. After arriving and making a plate of some great food - we all made our way to the basement where the big screen tv was. They pulled out the wii games. A night of "Guitar Hero." As I announced to them when they encouraged me to take my turn, my gaming days ended with atari. I am so behind the times, I feared it would be hard for the group to watch me struggle. In addition to high-tech games that just about everyone had played before, there were conversations I tried to take part of about crazy cable shows involving rock stars with names I didn't even recognize.... I haven't had cable since I lived at home with my parents. Never before had I felt the distance between me and the rest of world so glaringly... I might as well have been homeschooled!

3 comments:

LT said...

Now that is an interesting composition of words right there. I guess the issues of priorities have to be dealt with. All too often the world allows us to get wrapped up in things that are really just material or fleeting.
But homeschooled???? That worries me.

Cadenabeana said...

I know. It is amazing how conversations ever occured in the past really I mean what were people thinking, talking about world events, books, politics, cooking, the family and so on. I mean quality conversation is really about "The Girls Nextdoor", Desperate Housewives", MTV, and all those reality tv shows starring has been actors and musicians!

Blythe Owen Hunt said...

1. seriously. I don't think feeling homeschooled is a good analogy. You can talk about all sorts of culturally relevant things that have nothing to do with pop culture and that are actually interesting.
2. UPDATE!