Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A bit of a scene


I remember being a child and while my mom was at a woman's retreat my dad had a break down. The pots and pans were disorganized (and I imagine there were all kinds of others stressors) and he got so irritated he pulled them all from the cabinet onto the kitchen floor. If I remember correctly, we were then ordered to put them away...

Christina and I have opposing ideas of how tupperware should work. I feel strongly that if I want to put something in a plastic tub, the top and bottom should be easy to find...easy to match. So, in my ideal kitchen tops and bottoms are paired together, like couples. Christina is more of a free spirit. She likes to stack bottoms with bottoms and tops with tops. I will not attempt to explain why this seems like a better idea to her...because I can't undertsand the logic. This morning while trying to put together a lunch I grabbed a bottom, threw some spinich in it, some carrots and then began the daunting task of trying to find the right top for my bottom. To no avail. Rrrrrrrraarrrrr. I felt the rage build inside and then I reminded myself that I was getting upset about tupperware! I threw the salad into another bottom and grabbed its found top.

Tonight, I emptied the dishwasher. I put the silverware away, plates and mugs. Then I swung the lazy susan tupperware drawer open and began to attempt to stack lids on lids and bottoms on bottoms. Chaos insued. Things were sliding, some falling into the back of the drawer. Rrrrrrarrrr. That nasty rage (which may or may not be hormone induced) got the better of me and I lost it...and just as I had seen my father do so many years before, shoved those darned disobediant tupperware lids and bottoms to the floor. That'll teach them.


Psssst... thanks dad for allowing me to retell your story. I do it not out of judgment but as an awareness that those kinds of reactions to life (and unruly kitchenware) is pretty normal...at least for you and me and my caseload.
Psssst... notice the photo I have chosen represents the ideal organization of tupperware - the coupling system.

2 comments:

Cadenabeana said...

Just as life is organized, couples, so should the tupperware be.

Cadenabeana said...

But why not group them just how they come packaged...leaves all the bases inside of eachother, per size, with the lid sitting right on top of the respective size.