Sunday, July 15, 2007

Yee Haw!





So I love this time of the year....the Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo strolls into town and for the last couple of years Christina has gotten tickets because of her fabulous job and their affiliation with the rodeo AND she has been kind and generous enough to invite me. Last month they had the street breakfast downtown, on Tejon street. For $5 you get an egg and pancake
breakfast, served up by some of the local army guys, live music and the opportunity to sit on bails of hay. There is a parade (which I missed this year) and a cattle run downtown. I walked out of work the other day and stumbled onto some livestock. It wasn't until I talked to my friend in Seattle that I was reminded it isn't everywhere that herds of cattle are sent down city streets.

My love for rodeos started a couple years back when my dad invited me to join him at the Western Stock Show (which is in Denver every Martin Luther King Jr Day weekend). We check out the livestock and the goods and we go to the rodeo. That year, we just happened to get great seats near where the buckin' broncos and bulls are .... it was perfect and close to all the action. It's a tradition now, and I look forward to it.
I love the romantic idealized cowboy lifestyle, the work-with-your-hands mentality and grass roots feel of it all. The cowboys themselves aren't bad to look at either and there is something about watching a man with a well-trained herder dog, or prize winning bull, or impressive riding abilities that is attractive.

This year mom and dad joined us. The VIP food was great, and the weather (despite threats of rain) was perfect.

3 comments:

Cadenabeana said...

I know, right...there is nothing like a mans man. One that can take down bull, tie up a calf and show his bronco who is boss!!

Cadenabeana said...

Oh and I would like to point out that the little tradition you speak of, used to be me and dad...so remember...I let you have that tradition!

Les Trois Soeurs said...

You left our poor father for the last frontier. I went out of sympathy and our own little tradition was born!