Monday, December 18, 2006

Uke


I just ran to the local guitar shop. I used to go pretty regularly and developed a strange crush on the guy who would re-string my guitar. He is older and kind of small and not very attractive, but very kind and can pick up any stringed instrument and just start strumming. Guitar players have a special place in my heart.
I eventually gave up on the dream of playing the guitar well. My strings kept breaking and it wasn't until attempting to learn how to pick that I realized I should have learned on a left-handed guitar. I originally thought I'd just get the hang of it and my hands wouldn't know any better - but when we got to plucking those strings it was evident that my right hand is a little "slower." I think my left hand got bitter and it was a whole big mess.
I went in today to buy a Christmas gift. My dad explained he wanted a beginner's book for the Ukulele. Don't ask - I've decided Christmas is a time where you should be able to put whatever on your list and not have to answer questions - good gifts are the ones you want but would never buy for yourself. And so, I was at the shop with Mr. Used-to-be-crush. There was THE sweetest older woman sitting down, holding a little ukulele or "uke" as the Mr. Used-to-be-crush calls it. Real hip on the lingo, you know. She was trying to remember chords and explained to her friend and Mr. Utbc, that when she was young she would play "Onward Christian Soldier" outside of her church. She was adorable, gray hair and bundled in a pink wool coat. Mr. Utbc, asked her how long it had been since she played. "Oh, I was 5 or 6. I just remember standing outside with a group and we would play 'Onward Christian Soldiers.' I guess it was just a couple chords, but now I can't remember what they were. They're small enough, you know, I could play it in the car." Mr. Utbc, picked up the uke she was buying and just started playing a tune. She looked at me and said, "Now, didn't he just play that so good?" It was true, I didn't explain to her that some of us have a weakness for that. We all flipped through the beginners books, trying to find the best one. I settled on "First Lessons" with a promise on the front that "it doesn't get any easier..."
We'll see how dad does with it. If he doesn't have the knack maybe I could give the uke a try, trade in the guitar for a little something smaller. Something I could play in the car. I know where to get the strings changed.

No comments: