Saturday, December 09, 2006

It's Christmas time in the city...


I met my friend at Mimi's this week. We met for coffee at 7:45 pm. I had a gift basket in my jeep. A basket filled with food and grocery gift certificates for a friend and her family. My parent's contribution... complete with 3 festive green Christmas bows. I thought about hiding it in my jeep while getting out heading into Mimi's. I decided, however, the parking lot was not too packed, the dinner rush was over...and who was going to steal a basket of tuna fish and pringles? An hour and a half later I came out to my car...as I approached my vehicle I saw a green bow laying on the pavement by the passenger door. S*@t! Sure enough. The basket gone. Someone took a basket of food intended for a deserving family. What has this world come to? These criminals suck the life out of me all day at work...and then they rob from me at night. I was so disgusted with the world and sin.
And then - my consolation prize: My thief did not leave me empty handed. At the floorboard was a neatly stacked collection of CDs. How bizarre! Maybe this isn't so bad, maybe I'll expand my CD collection. Probably 30 CDs left, just for me. I flipped through them in the dark of my car, only to discover they are all Korean and Chinese! Every last one of them. Probably taken from some other victim's vehicle. Perhaps someone out there is blogging about losing a decade of soundtracks and favorites. I thought it might be a way for me to expand my cultural bubble. I've tried to listen to them...but I don't know what they're singing about...and I can't sing along.-jlt

No comments: