Sunday, February 26, 2006

Creepy -Creeperton

A good portion of my job is talking to various providers in the Springs. We contact each other to discuss client enrollment, compliance, and treatment. We build professional relationships, seldom meeting. Just recently Sheila said to me, "I hear all kinds of things about you. We should meet sometime over lunch. I'd love to put a face to the name." Nothing has come of that - but it is a common occurrence. Every now and then, one will show up at the office and introduce themselves. I find it a fascinating game - sometimes people look exactly like you would imagine them, and others are completely different. Dan and I had a conversation last week about being downtown and it being a good place to grab a bite to eat. "Well, I've never met you. It's been a while since I've been down to the office. You going to be there next Friday? Maybe I'll stop by and say 'hello.'"
So, on Friday I'm walking out of the community restroom, back to my office when I hear a, "Jana? Hey,how are you?"
"oh...it's Friday!" I shook his hand with my wet one. I had completely forgotten about it and half expected to be out of the office at lunch. But, no, here it was and here he was. Pretty close to what I imagined. An older (50s) man, hispanic. Okay, so we've seen each other...what now? I walk into my office, he follows and takes a seat. He's doing the creepy, once-over thing with his eyes. It dawns on me that this isn't just a put the name with the face game... I think Dan was expecting more. I'm uncomfortable and suggest he meet the new employees in the office and I drag my 2 female co-workers into my office to meet him. They don't stay long and both smile at me on their way out. I was praying it wouldn't get anymore awkward. Maybe this isn't that weird - maybe I'm just being overly sensitive. After small talk, he finally gets up to leave. I thank him for coming by and throw in the cliche face and name line. He leaves.... and then all of my co-workers crowd around and discuss the entire incident. I gather I wasn't being overly sensitive because they all found it extremely funny and wanted to know when Dan and I would be seeing each other again. Eeeagah!
-jlt

No comments: