Monday, February 13, 2006

Competition

I was invited to join a friend for a lacrosse game in Denver.

What began as an innocent invite became a blind date. Her boyfriend was, "going to bring one of his friends." I might add I had great apprehension for the evening. My friend invited me to spend the night or "crash" at her boyfriend's place in Denver instead of making the trek back to the Springs. She also added I should bring my bathing suit because her boyfriend's apt complex has a hot tub. Who does that? Who gets into their skivies with strangers? Much less a hot tub?
We arrive at the game - and let me say - lacrosse is a super fun sport to watch. The crowds were intense, the game is fun, plenty to be entertained by...except the discomfort of realizing the entertainment/sport industry caters to the fellas. During breaks, dancers would come out onto the floor, scantly dressed, swinging their hair around, with suggestive moves. Eeeks! What do you do? I contemplated most of the day what I would wear to this event, tried to go for an attractive casual look, and here I am sitting next to a guy I just met and watching dancers. Do you look at him? Do you avoid watching the dancers? Do you attempt to talk about the weather or that last crazy play while the chicks are shaking their...things.
At the next break a tall blonde in tight jeans and tall boots came out and announced a crowd participation game, at which time my new friend said, "wow, there are blonde bimbos at every break." He then pointed out the hot tub across the way with 4 bikini wearing ladies. Nice. Awkward. His consolation was that maybe at halftime they would have chip-n-dale dancers. I appreciated his addressing the topic, better than the naked elephants in the room thing. Alas, no male dancers, no guys in the hot tub (don't confuse that for disappointment - just a recognition of lack of equality... or something). You try hard to be attractive, to dress well, to be friendly, to engage and then you have to compeat with that, er them. Did I metion the old man behind me was shouting, hooting and hollering during the show? But not a peep during the game.
-jlt

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gross!!! You didn't tell me about the hootin' and hollerin' guy?! Did he look pervy?

Stacy said...

HILARIOUS!!! HILARIOUS!!! HILARIOUS!!! I mean not really too hilarious, sorry that you had to go through the awkwardness, BUT it makes for a hottin and hollerin story!
Stacy

Anonymous said...

So I was thinking that I should suggest a lacrosse game for our singles calendar and then I remembered your story. TOO BAD. I don't think our guys will benefit from writhing and wiggling half "nekid" girls and we women don't need to pretend to be looking at the "hole in our jeans" the whole time.

Anonymous said...

Well, a great "tall tale" if you ask me!! Or maybe not so "tall" after all. Thanks for sharing...the specifics, I feel as though I was there watching - all. Too much for sure. Who won the game??

Mom

Les Trois Soeurs said...

You'll be pleased to know that all the dancing paid off - must've also encouraged the players.