Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Men are from Mumsville

I have just come from a night of home visits with 2 officers. I'm not going to lie.... I thought I might arrive to find not 1 but 2 single officers that might fight for my affections. I arrived to find two "settled" men and no personality. In their defense, they'd worked a full day and this was extra duty.
When I've gone on home visits with a female co-worker, we dish. "So, this guy's done this and this and lives with so and so and you'll never believe what he said this one time." Not so with my two fellas. It was purely logistical with them - "where to next? you got a map on this guy?" No chit chat about life stories or compliance. No one discussed the guy who is dating/living with an older woman (I restrained myself from saying something about Mrs Robinson) and no one chatted about the lady who wanted the scoop on her next door neighbors. I was in anti-process world. It was painful for me. The couple of times I said something (that I thought was hilarious) it totally fell flat. By mid trip I sat silently in the back of the car, listening to the country music and some of their talk about schedules and motorcycles.
Not all was lost; It was a productive night. I found two guys drinking and had the joy of watching them pour out their alcohol; I saw one of my guys shirtless (nice spider tatoo, dude) and a woman came out of a hallway with a back scratcher arched up as if she might use it as a weapon.
Safety is nothing to bulk at, I just wish it came with some dialogue and dish.

No comments: