Monday, April 30, 2007

Downtown Livin'


Last night C and I met the parents downtown. It was fairly early, Sunday night on Tejon Street. We were standing outside when they came, a whole gang of guys on bikes. They looked rough and circled around the street. One guy went down the street backwards, showing his mad skills, another one cruised the block on one wheel. They weren't wearing helmets or protecitve gear, just wife-beaters. They weren't terrible scarey, but kind of loud and I found myself clutching my bag a bit tighter. C and I were walking back home when I could hear them coming behind us - they were traveling the wrong way down Tejon, and on the sidewalk, which is against the law. C darted to the side of a restaurant to read the menu, which was a perfect diversion to get out of their way without looking scared. They passed us without incident and then...kept pedaling down the street.
What causes a man to desire to ride a bike in a pack with his dawgs? Do they all have revoked licenses? Can't afford real wheels? Like to feel the cool breeze of the evening air on their face? Why are the bikes so little? Is it supposed to emphasize their manliness? I don't get it.

No comments: