Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Bargain Bin


I love to find a deal and cut corners where I can. Because of this, I am rather fond of the dollar store. Decorations for parties, dish towels, seasonal decorations, gag gifts, car protectant, and gift bags all at the dollar store....for a dollar. I was rather excited when Target started their own dollar bin. Random, fun, junk for cheap (although, may it be recognized, that the $1 bin is now a $2.50 bin - inflation?).
Before my big trip to London, I stopped at the Target bargain bins to find a whole travel theme. I bought some travel pouches, perfect for organizing, and a fun green umbrella. Kelly green, big fan lately, and perfect for the trip. I had been looking around for a deal and this was the best bargain by far. Unfortunately, I only had one occassion to pull it out on the trip.
This morning the weather man said there may be light showers today. I grabbed my umbrella on my way out the door. As I walked down my front steps I felt a light drizzle - "yea, it's spring showers!" Within the few short blocks to my work, the sprinkle had become a downpour - the sky gray and wind blowing. Ugh - I hate parking so far from the building. I pull out my umbrella and thank the Lord for blessing me with remembering to grab it; I spent a good chunk of time on my hair today.
I head out into the rain. Aye aye aye, it's really coming down. Before I can cross my first intersection, my umbrella blows over and is now only a large sculpture to the sky instead of a water protectant. I spend most of my walk trying to hold on the the wings of the canopy to keep it from blowing up. It was hilarious. I attempted to lean into the wind and hold on to the umbrella, along with all the other stuff I had in my hands. It is a fight. I started to get the giggles, which went into a full out loud laugh. It was such a struggle. I gingerly crossed the large intersection, trying not to let my laugh get the best of me, and noticed the lights on in the courthouse, I can only imagine what I looked like to the dry people inside. As I approaced the building, while still cracking up, a woman pointed out the shamble of an umbrella I was holding, turned up in opposing directions. "So much for the dollar bins," I explain. You get what you pay for.

No comments: