Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Singing in the rain



Today is perfect! It is gloomy and rainy, but in a romantic kind of way. Not too cold and the air wet enough to drink in. There are just not enough of these days here in Colorado. If I had my way, it would be a day like today, that I would call in sick, stand outside in my raincoat and take it all in - maybe go for a jog or walk and appreciate the way the grass looks extra green when it's wet, or the shimmer on the wet pavement.
I started today with a stop at Starbucks - every rainy day a bit better with a cup of warm coffee. On my way back to my wet car (why did I think it was a good idea to take off the windows so early in the warm season?!) I saw an earth worm on the sidewalk. Shewp - I was instantly sucked back into my childhood. When we lived in Nebraska, there was a whole creepy crawly world in our back yard. I remember playing with earthworms -they were so much fun! Slick and squirmy, with no fear of stingers, teeth or pinchers. The only thing better than earthworms were rollie pollies. Well, those and fireflies, but there was that whole desire to capture fireflies and unintentionally killing them in the mason jar during the night, only to discover the creatures lying on the bottom looking sadly life and light less in the morning. While delighted to see the earthworm, I had no desire to pick him up and play with him today.
The rain also reminds me of living in a huge house on Nevada Avenue with my dear friend R. There was a crazy rainstorm that lasted for days. Water filled up the drain hole outside our basement apartment door and water seeped into her bedroom. To avoid water pouring in through the bottom of our front door, we suited up and headed out. We took buckets, filled them up and moved the water from our stairwell. We used our chalkboard to keep track of the number of buckets we lugged up our stairs and above ground. Despite the drama of the situation, we had a blast, jumped in puddles and laughed! Not something I have to be concerned with now, on the third floor.
The only thing I did not like about today was my walk into work...with my green umbrella.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a memory! First ~ I can't believe that you ever played with worms! That is sooo gross! I never, never, ever wanted to touch those things, even in my tomboy years. *shaking head* I wouldn't have believed it of you. Secondly, love the story about flooding crisis. It's great when you have a friend around to enjoy "terrible" stituations together. *smile*

And for the record, the smell of today reminds of California as a little 3 & 4 year old. When it would rain like this there would be snails every where! Crunch, crunch, crunch. Loved it! Jumping up and down in the church parking lot in a little sleeveless dress and white sandles. *sigh* Those were very happy days.
~S

Blythe Owen Hunt said...

That IS a great memory!

If you were here, I'd share my great big rainbow umbrella with you. Unless you're like my sister who thinks I look like a les walking down the street with it.

Anonymous said...

HA! We were so dang creative and fun! Thanks for the fun memory - and we did have such a great time...drama, puddles and all.

R :)