Saturday, May 06, 2006

I can see clearly now

I woke up Friday morning - ugh - I hate mornings, never enough time, moving slowly. I go to put in my contacts. I didn't wear them the day before, I wear them too much and always get scolded by the eye doctor about oxygen and blood vessels. I open the case and my contacts are nowhere to be found. What? I look through the medicine cabinet, maybe I grabbed the wrong case...no, I can't find another one. I call CAT at work: "hey, can you see?"
"yes"
"hmmmm, my contacts aren't in my case, did you maybe put mine in?"
"no, if I had yours in I wouldn't see anything...is the bathroom trash still there? I threw a case away yesterday...."
CAT is going through this big purge, throwing things away, de-cluttering. I disgustingly dig through the trash, a contact case...not mine. I'm becoming angry at the possibility of her purging my stuff... I dig some more, nothing. I look again in the medicine cabine (this will happen 4 more times) in my make-up bag, on my dresser, in her room...nothing. I am down on the ground, looking under the claw-foot tub, around the radiator, could it have fallen and rolled somewhere? Time is ticking, I will be late for work. I know I should throw on my glasses, but now I must find the contacts. I feel like I'm losing my mind... I've been wearing contacts for over 12 years (how did I get so old?)and this has never happened. I see this as a reflection of my life, of course, and get emotional - I'm losing my mind and now I have to go to work and I'm unhappy and I'm single and geesh I've been wearing contacts for years and I'm old....
I go into my room to slap on my make-up..... wait a second.... I can see? I jump up close to the mirror... sure enough...there they are...my contacts are in my eyes! Oh my lands! It is crystal clear: I am losing my mind! I am going crazy! I'm a freak!
-jlt

No comments: