Saturday, May 27, 2006

27?! How did it happen?

I had a good day on the 25th. Took the day off of work - it used to be one of those things you could bet on - you get your birthday off - supposed to be a perk of the job. But lately, the office enviroment is so severely tense and abusive you don't dare assume anything. "Hey, Hoss, I'm going to take my birthday and tomorrow I'll come in early and leave early." I like to say things matter of factly - in fact, my co-worker just brought that to my attention yesterday, I have a professional voice that indicates I'm not asking, I'm informing... when did that happen?
"What?" he says in a grunt. I keep my stance, "I'm taking Thursday off, it's my birthday and I'm leaving early tomorrow." 180 out of there before he can question my intentions. I suppose if he had a problem I will discover it soon enough.
I had breakfast on the porch - the made over porch - it is so perfect now, new carpet, plants, clean. And then mom and I went to ParkMeadows. Mom said I could shop for an outfit - unfortunately times have changed and we weren't at Kohl's. I did get some pants for work and some summer tanks. However, I DO NOT recommend clothes shopping on one's birthday - there's nothing to celebrate when standing in a small closet, harsh lighting and horribly honest mirrors. Next year I think I'll go spa. Get pampered some.
Then went to dinner with the family and friends. That evening, talking to a friend, I had a wrinkle in time experience. I've known her for years - who would've thought when we were friends at 18 that we'd be sitting around and talking about how life was at 24, 25? When did 24 and 25 become "years ago?"
-jlt

No comments: