Sunday, March 08, 2009

The Fire

We went to the early service at church - it starts at 8:30. Inevitably, we always arrive late, which at out church, isn't nearly as shameful as it would be in most places. 
After such an early rise, I could hardly wait to snuggle up on the couch. My eyes closed, I drifted into sweet sleepiness.... and then I heard yelling - confusing my peaceful slumber. Kids playing a game? It doesn't sound fun. A family fight? It isn't ending. 
Eventually, I crawled off the couch and to the porch, walked out on the the balcony and saw a shocking sight. The apartment building across the lawn was on fire! Huge flames from the bottom apartment balcony all the way to the next balcony. The yelling? Neighbors screaming at people in floors above the flames to "GET OUT!" 
There were at least 9 fire trucks/engines that sirened in to save the scene and the fire fighters put the flames out shortly after they arrived and hooked up their hoses. 
The smoke billowed for a while and plenty of us gathered on the lawn to watch and take it all in. 
Fortunately, no one was home in the apartment that started aflame. And no one lived the the two apartments above. Unfortunately, the family who lived there has no home. 
I am even more thankful, now, that the candle I forgot to blow out, a few months ago, didn't burst into flames in this high rise apartment, but instead just flickered on and made the whole place smell good upon my return home. 

No comments: