Thursday, March 12, 2009

Cupcakes


My current obsession is cupcakes. 
I was frustrated with the delay of the cupcake craze taking so long to get to Colorado. Now that I'm in the big city, I cannot get enough of them. 
It started when Christina sent me a link from a Denver paper about a new cupcake shop. When Cadena was driving through, and I was home sick, she asked if I needed anything. "I need a cupcake." I had been thinking about them since the news of the new shop and had almost attempted to find it on my own this sad sick day, but it was all I could do to muster enough energy to go to McDonald's for a fatty lunch and cheap movie. 
Hmph - so, we all agreed they were disappointing, with thick icing that tasted more like crisco

This did not deter my interest or desire for cupcakes, but instead, challenged me to find the best one in town. 
For mom's birthday, we went out to do a Cupcake Challenge. There are two bakeries across from each other on Colfax Ave. One, with traditional fluffy finds and the other with more artistic rich ones. 
For the record, two size-able cupcakes in one setting is more than enough. 

 On another day, Cadena was back in town, had stopped somewhere to chill for a while and discovered their cupcakes with espresso icing. She offered to pick me up from work, and we headed right back there - I needed one!

After purchasing an icing tool, 

I was easily convinced to take the cupcake making class at a local cooking 
school with a co-worker. 3 hours, 5 recipes and I had to try them all. It wasn't until after the class, that I realized by tasting half of each recipe (which I thought exhibited great self-control), I had finished off 2 1/2 cupcakes. Lunch - check. 
It was so fun to have friends over that evening, after dinner and short films, to share the last of the treasures. 5 cupcakes cut in fourths!
Now co-workers keep asking when we'll bring some in to work. Oh no, I think not. These aren't the kind cupcakes you bring in to work to have scarfed down by people who don't know your name. My adventure will continue.... until I've tried them all!

Thanks Cadena, for your great support in my cupcake treasure hunt. 

3 comments:

Cadenabeana said...

You are very welcome!! I am glad that I could help your involvement and excitement for this a new hobby. i have decided to refer to eating sugary unhealthy pretty cupcake items as a hobby, makes it sound more legit than an indulgence!!

Anonymous said...

grrr...I am jealous....

hey!! My word verification was chbul...which could be a smash up of chub and ful!!!

Blythe Owen Hunt said...

how fun! I fell in love with cupcakes when I lived in Baltimore years ago. They were all the rage! It was surprisingly hard to find someone in C/S who could do cupcakes for our wedding! I love yours and think you are doing a smashing job!!