Saturday, October 13, 2007

Lumberjack junction


The parents asked for our help with their property north of town. Our mission: clear the land of fallen trees. My personal goal: learn to use a chainsaw. As soon as I saw my dad going to it, I was overwhelmed with the desire to get behind the saw and feel the power. My first couple of trees were awkward, but I got the feel for it and have to say - good times. We spent last Sunday afternoon up there...and most of today. Exhausting work, but somehow good work. There is something about the kind of work you can see progress over the course of hours. I find it particularly fulfilling after a week appointments where one can only conclude, "you can't predict human behavior." That doesn't stack up to a pile of wood, a sawed dead tree, or a cleared forest floor. A little exercise and some fresh mountain air and well....some donuts.

Sunday, I ignorantly brought jeans to wear. My mom said, "are you sure that's what you want to wear up there? Are you sure you don't want some sweatpants?" She returned with a classic pair: teal in color, white drawstring and taper, elastic ankles. I completed the outfit with a flannel shirt with undertones of teal...and orange....and purple. At times, lost in my comfort (let's admit it folks, there was a reason why some of us wore sweatpants out and around...in public. They're comfortable) I would look down to see myself in these sweats and begin to feel slightly ill. Today, I updated my look with a pair of yoga pants. Wider legged, black. And I'm shocked to say it, but the sweatpants are by far the better lumberyard attire. With a tight elasticized ankle, there were no concerns of creepy crawling things making their way up my leg - not so with the yoga pant....it was like an invitation. Also, the sweatpant is made of a good sturdy material. They made it through some intense log dragging. I'm afraid my yoga pants tore after some rough branch encounters.

I'm sure we were quite a sight and can only hope the neighbors will give us the benefit of the doubt and assume we can clean up nicely. Dena - you were missed. We could've used your muscle.

1 comment:

Cadenabeana said...

Awww, I missed out on manual labor, *sigh*, *snap of the finger*, too bad.