Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Lost and Found


Well - they found it. I came in to work on Monday - expecting to talk to an insurance agent about how much my car was worth. When I listened to my voice mail my heart sank, "we found your vehicle, looks like it's alright but the ignition is busted. you can call the impound to get it back." What?! That's it?! No information about how they found it or if there are any suspects. What a mess. I took time off of work to go to the impound - but when I arrived it was closed for lunch. Thank you to the old guy who answered the phone and simply stated their hours were 8:00-4:30. I had to figure out who was going to tow it and where. Then when I went back to the impound old guy was mean and rude and it was too much for me to handle. He drove me out in his dirty truck to my car - the back window missing, dirt everywhere. Clear signs of violation. I called the tow truck and let them know the car had been released to them...only to discover they needed a key (at this moment I'm still trying to figure out why). That took a trip from work to the tow truck company. Let me tell you - it was like a scene from cops. A couple of people sitting around a card table. Duct tape on the cordless phone. Kid sitting on a goodwill couch. They were nice enough, but wow. Not to mention I had to cross an entire street of ice and water in my suit to get to them (thank goodness I expected the worse at the impound and threw on my tennis shoes). I'm sure they all knew that I had been crying - had puffy red eyes. No one wants to be the girl that is crying.
I got ahold of the officer who found my baby last night - "ya, looks like they did whatever they wanted to with it, heh heh, and then left it where we found it."
My jeep now sits at the shop - waiting for an insurance agent to check it out before any work is done. I've called the agency and have been informed that due to the blizzards they are a couple days behind schedule.
What I have learned:
That despite what we try to say - being an independent woman is HIGHLY over-rated. All the women who independent throw your hands up at me...but I might not return the gesture. I covet having a man who would take care of me and all of this (particularly the mean old man at the impound).
That being a victim of any crime is truly overwhelming. I have a new found sympathy to the victims I work with. Despite all my training, I now understand why so many of them are rude and impatient - they've been through the system - a system that is insensitive and uncaring toward them.

No comments: