Sunday, November 19, 2006

Laundromat


I recently went to the laundromat to do some massive washing. I needed to wash my couch slipcover before hosting a party and saw it as a great opportunity to get all of my laundry done...without having to climb the 4 flights of stairs to the basement washroom. I dragged all my dirty clothes to the laundromat on Platte. I walked in and was immediatley concerned. There were "Apartment Guides" thrown on the floor, a couple of old dryer sheets and a puddle of water from a leaking washing machine. The mega washers (the whole reason I came to the laundromat) were all broken - yes, all 4 of them. So I shoved the slipcover in a standard washing machine and gave the on-site security camera a look to imply, "it's your own fault." I loaded up 4 machines. I couldn't get one to stay balanced, so the spin would stop. Another machine started with a spin cycle - never washed the clothes. I had to transfer my soapy clothes to another machine and pay another $1.25 to try again. The machines were called "Speedy Wash" and speedy it was. Too speedy. Are my clothes really getting cleaned? I sat in the place by myself - at first relieved I didn't have to avoid eye contact with someone for an hour. But as time passed, I became very aware that while I had difficulty seeing outside through the reflective glass, the whole world and passing Platte could clearly see me. Sketchy - very sketchy. At one point, the door slammed open and a guy came in with a beanie on his head...freaked me out. Fortunately he only asked for the time but I was all kinds of ready to shout out: "Stay back - I've been to defensive skills training and my hands are weapons!" The clothes took too long in the dryer and I found myself folding damp jeans. I left with 4 loads of cleanish laundry - but next time, I think I'm just going to make the trek down the stairs to the basement.

No comments: