Monday, June 05, 2006

Window Pain

I was so excited when I moved into my new office. Bigger, built-in shelves and a huge window. I'll be honest - I had visions of scenes from "My Fat Greek Wedding" where the average woman was snatched up by the attractive man who occasionally passed by her window. Perfect - it'll be like the pet shop at the mall. I'll be one of the puppies in the window.
Love has not found me on Kiowa street. Harsh reality has. As of late, it's been transients chilling out on the bench right outside my office. There is one guy in particular. He wears a big winter jacket, even in the hottest of weather. He's in his own world - rolling his own cigarettes...every now and then he'll hop up and start dancing - he's got rhythm. I've tried to connect with him through the glass but he doesn't make eye contact. Too bad, I thought we could create our own gesture jargon and chat through the window.
Today, it has been a bit more tragic. There is a guy who is blind and appears to be mentally unstable. He was here a couple weeks ago. I saw him in the afternoon out there at the bench until I left for the day. I was concerned when I came back the next day to find him still sitting. People walked by and offered him things: drinks, food, money. He refuses help. He became increasingly agitated so I called the police dept, moments later to discover some volunteer EMT recognized him and had called as well. The paramedics came and took him off. I was surprised to see him again, today.
Moments ago a belligerent drunk came and sat next to him and yelled at people as they walked by. It was horribly entertaining and I found myself unable to pull away from the reality show I was watching. What would he say to this guy? How will she respond? Oh, look at the teenagers snicker as they pass. I only wish I had a volume knob.
-jlt

No comments: