Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Hungry Mongrels

So I work in a family run business. Dad is the boss, son is the supervisor, and son-in-law is a sub-supervisor. It creates interesting dynamics. So, boss brings in some brownies his wife made. Very thoughtful and generous. Now, missing from this office, in addition to an Employee's Handbook, is the Employee's Treat Etiquette. Within minutes of the plate arriving this morning I saw two of my co-workers make 5 trips to the snack room, one with his mouth still full, making his way to grab another. Is there no common decency? If someone takes the time to bake a treat and bring it in - it is for everyone. Snacks will disappear within minutes. It happens over and over again around here. People shoving things into their mouths before everyone in the office (all seven of us) even knows there is something special. I myself, made a treat on Valentine's Day with French cocoa, I purchased in Paris...scarfed - in moments, without anyone ever tasting that rich quality chocolate...it's a shame. It reminds me of my childhood, on the rare occassion my mom brought a treat from the grocery store, the standard house rule, was grab as many as you can now, or you won't get any and you can only blame yourself. But we're all adults now - professional co-workers, at that, right?
I feel like the offical Treat Police, well, and the Potty Patrol, too - my office is next to the breakroom and bathroom. I keep my on eye the happenings - "Oh wow, he's going back for another, " as I hear the tinfoil crinkle. "He's been in there a while, " the toilet flushes. "Roger, Officer 251, I'm going to need some back up and some air sanitizer, we've got a double flusher...over."
-J

No comments: