Saturday, June 28, 2008

thanks for the endless hours on my ...


When I moved into my first apartment my parents gave me the couch from the basement. It had been my grandma's, remained in the basement and was rarely sat on. I have only 1 memory of the couch in its original place, some friends came over to watch "Seven" with Brad Pitt... I fell asleep (who falls asleep during movies like that?) It was a perfect first couch...once it had a slipcover. Mom and I ventured to the fabric store, found a great sage canvas material and some matching fabric for pillows and curtains. It was perfect!

Time went by, the slip cover wore, back to the fabric store. This time a brilliant red. Red was totally in (maybe still is?).

But there's something about being 29, a grown adult with a real job... the slipcover couch,now with a broken spring, more than 40 years old was no longer perfect.

Saturday, the delivery boys brought my new purchase up the 3 flights of stairs, complete with a lecture about how it would be more appropriate for me to have purchased a loveseat, given the dimensions of the stairs. It is big and comfy and dramatically changes the look of the living room.

Now if I could only get rid of the old one...without having to drag it down those flights of stairs. For now, it sits in the dining room, awaiting its demise.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

I think a song is in order...

"So Long, Farewell..."

I loved that slipcover and those lovely curtains that decorated our basement appt. Sometimes I see the material in random stores and it throws me back to a walk down memory lane. Yes, all good things must come to an end.

Hmmm....I wonder if you could list it on craigs list for a deal (free or 10.00 or something like that) - and in the posting describe that they must pick up. I've gotten rid of a ton of ugly furniture that way.

Have a great day friend!

Cadenabeana said...

OH MY GOSH.... not the couch... that is a part of our family, a part of our history!!!!!!!!!!JK!!! It is about time!

But you have shown us a picture of the old couch...i wanna see the fun new overstuffed, super comfortable couch.

Rally said...

How in the world does a piece of furniture become so attatched with so many memories?... My favorite, New Year's Day movie marathons. I definitley have my "imprint" on that couch.

Have to agree with the others:
Craig's list... a must
Need to see a pic!

Les Trois Soeurs said...

well, the truth is we were going to donate it to the ARC, so it chilled out on the front porch...except that it was rejected by the ARC...they said b/c it wasn't on ground level. I think it's b/c they saw the sprung spring. I'm afraid it's fate was the city dump.

Cadenabeana said...

OUCH... the couch you have been using for years, the ARC didn't even want it... how does that really make you feel?!?