Monday, March 19, 2007

London Bridge Falling Down




Thought I'd write something quick. Currently sitting at an internet cafe, which is a strange way to spend time in a foreign country - with new things around every corner. We are here, however, because.... we have lost (or were they stolen) our passports. There are, indeed, signs everywhere warning of such dangers - but you never really think it will happen to you... like dysentery. Sometime between one beer or the next at the "Nags Head" pub they were missing. This morning was the struggle to figure out where to begin the process - then to the scene of the crime, then to the police station to file a report and now to the U.S. Embassy.... it's a shame, as we had plans to see the British Museum and have tea this afternoon.
Aside from today's drama, we've been keeping busy seeing this and that - although we have a terrible habit of making to our destination just as it is closing. So much to be distracted by here. People watching is plentiful and I find my brain constantly working at reading signs and analyzing style, language, sights - almost stimulation overload. There are so many people here - that, I love. Today I was on a "lift" leaving the Covent Garden tube station and we (all strangers) were packed so tightly - it got me thinking about space boundaries and how long I've been living with no touch/physical invasion unless invited.
Anyway, so many other things I've noticed....but I've got some political business to take care of.

No comments: