Monday, February 26, 2007

Top things that made trip to Seattle an adventure


1. Sleeping past 4:30 am alarm, only to awake in panic at 5:15 am, 2 short minutes before my ride arrived.
2. I saw the signs that clearly stated no liquids over 3 oz; I checked all my goods. Nothing over 2.5 oz. However, missed the part about them all needing to be in a zip lock bag. Security guard, to my embarrassment, took out my 6 lip glosses, 2 hand lotions and contacts and informed I could not proceed with my most favorite things. Am out of time, beg her for my contacts and ask her to toss the rest :( Spend the next 2 1/2 hours with dull, dry lips and hands.
3. Go out dancing and encounter: a young man from Tacoma who is wearing more eyeliner than I ever have or will ever wear, but he tells me I'm beautiful and the eyeliner seems a small barrier to love. Come to senses and kindly dismiss his interest.
Meet halitosis man who tells me he used to own the Satellite Hotel and the Roadway in AND that, with him, I will never have to work again... he owns 3 sailboats.
V meets a drug dealer. She shares her love for Jesus and gives him her phone number. No worries, she does not answer his call.
4. Use trip as opportunity to try the best coffee outside of Europe. Never have coffee at same place twice. Decide Ladro wins for best americano with caramel syrup...hands down! Starbucks, can we still be friends?
5. Enjoy Pikes Place Market and have secret crush on smelly fish mongrels.
6. Attempt to snowboard in the heaviest, wettest snow I have ever seen. Spend most of time on butt in wet snow. At end of adventure, stand around a bonfire...until the flame blows toward me and I hear my own eyelashes sizzle. Am horribly concerned I will spend the next couple of months with a brown pencil, avoiding rain and snow. Am relieved when I discover my eyebrows are in tact and eyelashes are only short and stumpy.
7. Enjoy a sweet treat at the Cheesecake Factory, where our waitress congratulates us on almost finishing our cheesecake, which feels like an insult wrapped in a chocolate bow. Leave feeling slightly ashamed.
8. Got a taste of the good life while house sitting in Bellevue. Waterfront house, flat screen tv, leather couch, 2 gas fireplaces and boat out back. However, no chocolate in the pantry.
9. Went to the impressive library downtown where an awkward salesman at the gift shop presented an eyeglass case as though it were a magic trick for approximately 5 minutes. Left without magic glasses holder.
10. Am scolded and admonished by a woman, "that is a rare bird. stop harassing it!" after my attempts to get a Blue Heron to move so I can see its wing span. Apparently, ca-ca-cawing and flapping my arms may endanger this rare specimen.
10. Ate sushi at restaurant with conveyor belt. Could pick and choose what I ate as I saw fit. Reminded me of the airport baggage claim, except with raw fish and wasabi.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite a vivid trip discription. Am thinking to self on how much fun Jana had. Always an adventure with that girl. Must not be jealous of all the coffee and culture experiences. Am pleased for Jana's successful holiday trip.

SB

Les Trois Soeurs said...

Jana considers opening business. Will start with sign "will travel for your pleasure." Imagine extravagant holidays with only obligation to be "fun girl."