Saturday, April 01, 2006

Super Nanny

I watched Super Nanny the other night and I decided that everyone loves Jo because she is a normal sized women - or a little overweight. Dads like her: she is beautiful and friendly. Moms like her: she isn't intimidating and is safe. Children like her: she gets down on their level and plays with them. I tried to imagine how the show would go if Jo was a tall, slender blonde, with a rack. It wouldn't work.

I recently attended a baby shower and sat next to a woman I had never met. She asked if I had a family of my own. Mom and dad??? I politely returned the question. She is married, no children, but they do have a cat and that is like their child. She then proceeded to tell me how she is disciplining her cat despite the common assumption that cats cannot be trained. She explained how she has learned much of her tools on Super Nanny. You see, instead of a "naughty chair" she is using a naughty bathroom. If the cat does something bad, it is placed in the designated john. After a couple of minutes, the cat is released. She assured me that the cat does not like it in there. I asked her if this routine of discipline was working...."well, I'm not sure yet."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live the life of a super nanny, taking care of children many evenings a week. Another friend of mine does the same thing. We have noticed there are other part time nannies in the neighborhood much slimmer and prettier than ourselves. We have decided they are much less desirable nannies because they are a threat. A tiny toned blond in tiny stretchy yoga pants is not what you want to invite into your home. Now, chubby, funny, hard working nannies, that is what the average mother is looking for. So we have decided chubby and funny does make us desired and sought after.