Friday, June 17, 2005

Golden Trough

So, of all the glamorous restaurants in town, of all the places to feel special on your birthday, Ch chooses to eat at the Golden Corral. "Why?!" I asked her a number of times - but to no avail...her heart was set. I used to have an aversion to buffets, they would make me nervous. People standing behind you waiting for you to get out of the way so they can get what they want...the pressure was too much, and almost inevitably I would crack and spill things, drop olives, lettuce flying - really a sad scene. It might have something to do with an experience at Bonanza as a small child. I was looking for the best pieces of lettuce at the salad bar and was scolded by a woman about playing in the food. It shook my world, and think I even cried.
I've overcome most of those feelings and can handle the buffet like an adult - although I noticed last night that I kind of mumble to myself, "Oh my, oops, dropped a bit over there." Even, or especially, when there is no one around to hear me.
I do become concerned when I look around at buffets - "all you can eat" - really does encourage over-eating and over-eaters are abundant. I can't judge them, I too was an over-eater last night. It is far worse than even Thanksgiving - at least at those huge meals at home, you know you can have some more tomorrow, in fact the less you eat today, the more you'll have for lunch the rest of the week. Not at buffets, no take home boxes, if you want your money's worth, it's going out in your belly. Well, my belly was jam-packed, eating things out of obligation, eating things because they were there, eating things because that's what you do at these places. "Get we get some more plates? More rolls?" It was a great time, although everyone left feeling uncomfortable, needing to lay down, unbutton things, and swearing off meals for a week. -J

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is always tough to chow down at the trough of plenty. yummy