Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dancers


A couple weeks ago Matt and I had a picnic date. Well... really the date consisted of Thai take out from our favorite spot and a short car ride to Washington Park. I have to say I love Wash Park. It is shamefully yuppy but I love the people watching while still feeling safe and the fact that there are two little bodies of water to walk past make it much more enjoyable than a walk through the residential neighborhood near the apartment. We sat near the walking trail - perfect for people watching, and near the gardens - perfect to take in the last blooms of summer. After our scrumptious meal we walked past the boat house on the water. I've seen it packed with people and catered on evenings. I think it would be the perfect spot for a gala of sorts...particularly if you can set it for the sunset. This night, we could see people dancing and hear some music. How fun! What could this be?
We arrive to see an odd collection of people dancing to a random selection of exotic, foreign music. After watching for a while it is clear these aren't people who have just stopped by and joined in on the dance, they've come for the dance. Hmmmm, is this some kind of foreign dance class? There are clearly specific dance moves and I can see some of the confused/insecure dancers intently studying the feet of the pros. It isn't until the song," Sixteen going on Seventeen" comes on that I realize this isn't an exotic dance... this is a group of weirdos that have made their own regimented moves to music. Now I am noticing the women aren't very feminine and the men aren't very masculine. An awkward looking group of people. There is a lot of touching during the dancing. People are serious! They are sweating and taking breaks and in between songs some of them are seriously trying to learn the correct moves. One man is friendly withe ladies, another has a biker look but his tough exterior vanishes while he flails he hands in the air while he moves.
It is strange to me, I could watch for hours but Matt is ready to go. We try to figure out what drives the people to come. Are they hoping to connect with other people? Does this make them feel more cultural? Is it for the exercise?
After a google search, I've learned it is, indeed, called Ethnic Dancing. huh

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you did the research to find out what was going on. Better the ethnic dancing than people making up elaborate dance moves in their home to "16 going on 17." Fruit City! Love ya, S!